APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28, 2017
Auditions is scheduled for March 9th, 2017
Each summer in concert with Canada Works employs four to five students from SFU who write, direct and produce a play geared towards children. The play provides a chance to engage with live theatre for Burnaby families as well as Children’s Hospital, Ronald MacDonald House, and Canuck Place.
Per the Canada Summer Job Applicant Guide to be an eligible, students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permancent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (FOREIGN STUDENTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE); and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevent provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Details About Production
- 12 weeks from May –August 32.5 hrs/week.
- Creative Director/Production Manager (1 position) – $12.50/hour
- Actors/Performers (3-4 positions, depending on grant) – $11.00/hour
- Work needs to be designed for children and general public: can address social issues (not requisite) and must include an introduction, talk or Q&A (interactive elements encouraged).
- Students create their own costumes and set.
- The Burnaby Art Council provides a small budget for transportation, props, costumes etc.
- The performances/set/costumes must be transportable. The performances are sometimes outside (No power), and the set and costumes must be easily packed up, and transportable via van to different venues across the Vancouver/Burnaby/New West.
- Rehearsal’s can take place at SFU and or the BAC House, (6584 Deer Lake Ave).
- Groups must be no larger than 4 students (could be up 6 – extra students tbd at a later date) and must be interdisciplinary.
- Performance must be 45 min-1 hr.
- Participants must be current and returning students .
- There MUST be minimum one student with a valid BC License.
Creative Director / Production Manager
-To work with the Burnaby Arts Council Board and staff to direct all aspects of the summer theatre production.
-To work with the production manager in securing venue bookings and to participate and contribute to community and BAC special events.
-To provide a final report to the Board and SFU.
-To provide accurate time sheets and other documentation to BAC
To assist the Executive Director in preparation and administration of the budget, books, schedules, venues and performances with community groups and events. The production manager prepares performance contracts and agreements and ensure completion of these contracts. He or she will also help design and distribute promotional material, solicit and manage in-kind donations, correspondence and daily admin tasks related to the company. The production manager will also assist with the technical execution of the play and acts in a minor role. Emphasis this year will be performing at special events. The production manager will also be involved in preparing a final report with recommendations for the future and be involved in planning for the next year’s Summer Theatre.
-Prepares for the role in production (interpretation, characterization, and memorization) assist with script and music development.
-Under the direction of the Artistic Director, designs and constructs sets, costumes and props, setup/strike sets, perform daily during July and august to community groups and special events.
-give feedback to artistic director about the program and suggestions for improvement. Assist the Artistic Director in planning for the following year’s program.
12 weeks: May – August (must be available to work 32.5hrs/week; Production Manager works 13 weeks)
- 5-6 weeks: Creation and rehearsal
- 5 weeks: Tour with approximately 50 performances
Proposal: Groups must submit a 1 page proposal with concept and roles of group identified by March 31st, 2016 to Kevin Day.
SFU Contact: Chelsea Hunter
Chelsea_Hunter @sfu.ca or call 778-782-9592 for more information.
Audition: Groups are invited to perform a 5 minute sample of work at the MAY Annual General Meeting for the Burnaby Arts Council.