2018 Call for Mural Proposals
Call for Mural Proposals | Deer Lake Art Gallery
Submission Deadline: FRIDAY, APRIL 27, 2018 @ 4PM
The Burnaby Arts Council has a mandate to reach out and engage with the community in many ways. We seek to reinforce that the arts contribute significantly to the quality of life in Burnaby. The Arts Council is interested in exploring ways arts can be used in our city to draw community together , creating programs and public presence. We also wish to create a broad range of programs and gallery exhibitions to reflect the diversity of cultures in our community, being inclusive and respectful of all cultures. We wish to celebrate and enable emerging and professional artists through a professional exhibition in a public space, which serves to promote artists, to increase public awareness of art, and to make original art by local artists accessible to the general public.
The Burnaby Arts Council (BAC) seeks to increase cultural vibrancy of the city of Burnaby by engaging local street artists, muralists, creators and arts lovers through the creation of the Mural Project. The BAC is seeking artists to complete 1 mural at the Deer Lake Art Gallery. Artists must reside in the Lower Mainland, Canadian residents and be 18 years of age or older.
Successful candidate will begin working on the mural starting May 22, 2018 and MUST be completed the mural no later than July 3, 2018. The unveiling of the mural will occur on Saturday, July 7, 2018 during the outdoor Summer Arts Festival. Artist(s) will be required to participate in the unveiling on this date.
BAC will award the TOTAL of $3,000 to the artists at the completion of the Mural Project. In addition there is a $500 budget for the cost of materials.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, APRIL 27, 2018 BY 4 PMSubmission Requirements and Guidelines
For General Inquiries about the Exhibition Proposal
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Artist applicants must reside in the Lower Mainland and be Canadian residents
- Prior experience and demonstrated technical ability to complete a mural on a unique surface.
- Artists must be a member of the Burnaby Arts Council at the time of the unveiling of the mural. (you do NOT need to purchase a membership in advance)
- The Mural Project will be the sole property of the Burnaby Arts Council.
Design & Application Requirements:
- Artist must provide a sample sketch and proposed use of colours, style and overall design. Reference any design elements if possible with examples. The 4 wooden panels is your canvas total aproximate measurements are 7’ x 15”.
- Application MUST be submitted online by Friday, April 27th 4 pm.
- Be aware that some changes to the design may be required to accommodate site requirements.
- Designs should be original to the artist(s) and may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks and brand.
- Requires some reference to the community of Burnaby, openly interpreted by the artist.
- One-page narrative describing the concept of the proposed mural.
- BE AWARE THAT SOME CHANGES TO THE DESIGN MAY BE REQUIRED AS DIRECTED TO YOU BY THE JURY COMMITTEE
Image Requirements *REQUIRED*
- Include in the upload of artwork images or links to previous work samples (minimum 5). MUST include samples/examples of your body of work. We will be evaluating your skills and experience. DO NOT send 5 images of the same work!
- Images of your proposed mural, must be a fair representation of the concept you are proposing. ie sketches. In addition we also require colour scheme in detail. (minimum 5)
- Image list referencing and CORRECTLY named to match your attachments.
The BAC reserves the right to select artists and/or group of artists that they think will be appropriate theme. The BAC reserves the right to refrain from selecting an artist if the submission is not keeping with the criteria outlined guidelines.
April 5, 2018 Issue Call for Proposals
April 27, 2018 Deadline for artist applications
May 4, 2018 Artist will be notified
May 18, 2018 Artist meets with the Executive Director/Committee
May 22, 2018 Artist begins working on the Mural Project
July 3, 2018 Mural Project MUST be completed
July 7, 2018 Unveiling of Mural Project at the Summer Arts Festival
By submitting to this Mural Project you hereby grant the Burnaby Arts Council permission to use the aforementioned art work in connection with the 2018 Mural Project. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights in and to the artwork and/or you have the authority to grant the BAC the rights to use the artwork stills and other and all promotional use. The artwork becomes the property of the BAC upon completion.
**This form can only be used on a laptop or desk top. The application will NOT be processed correctly if you use your phone or ipad!**
If you do not receive a confirmation email the online application has NOT been processed correctly. Please be cognizant of all the ‘required fields’, error message will occur if not completed correctly.